Saturday, October 21, 2006

Battlestar Galactica: Season Three

Never have I been so disheartened with science fiction fandom as when Battlestar Galactica lost the Hugo for best dramatic presentation, short form to the ponderous and preposterous Dr. Who this summer in Los Angeles. Not only was the Pegasus episode of BSG a pinnacle installment of the hands-down best science fiction television program ever created, but Dr. Who is simply unwatchable drivel.

Well, I no longer have any concern over this horror repeating itself. There is simply no plausible -- I even dare say possible -- way in hell that the world did not just witness next years Hugo recipient for short form on Friday evening.

Exodus, Part 2 was the single best episode of a science fiction television program I have ever witnessed. It was an event; something I feel privileged to have been able to see as it was first broadcast.

If you have not yet become a fan of the new Galactica, I haven't the words to describe just what you are missing. Season One, Season 2.0, and Season 2.5 are available as DVD box sets, and Season Three episodes are available to be watched on SciFi.com.

This is the SF TV show that literally grinds beneath its heel all that have come before. (Yes, even Firefly.) You will laugh and cry and think, and perhaps not hate your television quite so much.

Comments on "Battlestar Galactica: Season Three"

 

Anonymous Mr. X said ... (12:38 AM) : 

Exodus, Part 2 was the single best episode of a science fiction television program I have ever witnessed.

Perhaps. It is definitely one of the best pieces of television I have ever seen. Part of it is the writing and twists and surprises, and the rest of it is the sheer entertainment value.

I think one of the marks of good storytelling is that even when you know what is coming, you are still blown away.

 

Anonymous Xray the Enforcer said ... (1:19 AM) : 

I'm still pretty speechless when it comes to my experience watching BSG last night. Either I was fighting the tears for the horrors (physical and psychological) visited upon the characters, or simply goggling at the action shots and raw chutzpah. Even some of the things I suspected were coming, I was totally enthralled with the execution. There's not much else I can say without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it, but I will end with this: HOLY FRAK!

 

Anonymous Mandy said ... (2:14 PM) : 

Agreed. There were several different times when I actually yelled at the television this past Friday. The screenshot you have shows the one part I was just blown away with. I've said it so many times with this show, "How can it get any better?" and the show answers EVERY single time. It's awesome and if it loses, it's totally ridiculosoo.

 

Blogger Ed S. said ... (2:16 PM) : 

I know that I should watch it, but when I was young I was traumatized by that horrible first series with Lorne Greene. I know that the current series is really good but I still mentally shudder at the mention of the name.

 

Blogger William Lexner said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Ed,

Do not walk away from your chance at healing.

This show shares very little more than a name with the original. This is *not* Ponderosa in Space.

 

Blogger omnina├»f said ... (4:39 PM) : 

As a fan of 'The Next Generation' I haven't watched to many BG, but my friend has made it a point to convert me simply by saying, 'TNG is a great show, but it's like an old book you had growing up. At the time the book was spectacular. But as you grow older you see the things that just aren't that good anymore. But you still love it for the history it has with you. BG is just better.'

 

post a comment