Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Nebula Nominees 2007

The nominees for this years Nebula Awards were released today. To a chorus of groans, I would hope.

I realize that the SFWA Popularity Contest Award has fallen on hard times of late, but this list of novels is truly an embarrassment. Save for Jeffrey Ford's minor (In comparison with the rest of his output) work, The Girl In The Glass, which adorns any list it belongs to, the list is lackluster and sometimes pathetic.

Privilege of The Sword by Ellen Kushner? Seeker by Jack McDevitt? Just who do you think you're fooling, SFWA?

In year when Spin by Robert Charles Wilson was eligible; a year when Accelerando, Vellum, The Warrior Prophet and Never Let Me Go (to name just a few) were eligible....

we get this list?

The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner
Seeker by Jack McDevitt
The Girl in the Glass by Jeffrey Ford
Farthing by Jo Walton
From the Files of the Time Rangers by Richard Bowes
To Crush the Moon by Wil McCarthy

For shame, SFWA, for shame. Enough with voting for your friends. A bit of integrity would go a long way in people actually considering this award worth mentioning.

As for short fiction, Burn by Jim Kelly classes up the joint in a weak novella category. M. Rickert and Peter S. Beagle run a two man race in the novella category, and Theodora Goss ought to run away with the Short Story.

Complete nominee list here.

Comments on "Nebula Nominees 2007"

 

Blogger Mike said ... (8:21 PM) : 

I have to say, that's a puzzling list.

 

Blogger Neth said ... (11:20 PM) : 

I enjoyed From the Files of the Time Rangers, but I'm not sure I'd rank it as one of the best. The choices, as always, are nebulous.

 

Blogger Ed S. said ... (12:30 AM) : 

I haven't read any of those novels and none of them are on my "to read" list. I guess I'm surprised to learn that all the books I'm reading are crud and I missed out on all the great books from the last year.

 

Blogger RobB said ... (9:52 PM) : 

I heard some of the finalists were good, but really, no Vellum? Infoquake not even short-listed?

Duncan's was one of the most universally praised books last year.

 

Blogger Conan of Cimmeria said ... (2:01 PM) : 

Swine, the Nebulas. Utter swine.

 

Blogger Roddy said ... (5:33 PM) : 

I'm out of the Nebula loop, I suppose--so I can't feel the indignation everyone must be experiencing. I can understand how some authors may be viewed as "friends" of the Nebula; Jack McDevitt, a visionary author imo, has been on the list ten times in elven years, and I think thirteen all together.

 

post a comment